January 21, 2010

i am "weird"

Sometimes when I meet people it takes me a while to settle into my personality around them. I mean, of course I’m myself, they’re just spared the full version. This is because it scares people off and I didn’t want them to be scared of me right off the bat and then be dreading the next six months (now closer to five). I lull them into a sense of security and then whip out the weirdness…but they’re still scared. How did I discover that they think I’m a bit of a nut? Well, I mopped the floor on my hands and knees today. In a skirt. Thoroughly cleaned. I reminded myself of my mom. But that’s not all of course. I demonstrated my animal noises, starting with a drowning cat, a dying chicken, a regular chicken, a goat, a peacock, and a raptor. I’m sure our neighbors loved it! I’m improving the American stereotype daily. Oh and of course there was the little episode at dinner. Abby bullied me into putting half my rice in my mouth at once. (I am now realizing how immature and disgusting this was, hence I am slightly embarrassed writing about it, but the pictures that will soon be posted of it are pretty priceless so you have to know the story behind them.) Well, once I had the rice in my mouth, I realized that I couldn’t breathe. And then I started laughing which hindered the whole breathing thing a little more. And then I didn’t want to swallow it because it started tasting like mildew. At this point, everyone was laughing so hard that all the Chinese people were staring at us (more than usual) and Abby hitting the table probably didn’t help much either. We’ll just ignore what happened after that. Let’s move on now…
As you can see, this will be somewhat of an eclectic post. Let’s just discuss the children a bit. I have a new sidekick. Her name is Fefe (fay fay). She likes to twirl like a ballerina on my finger. This morning she wouldn’t let go of me so I stood with her during opening exercises. When I tried to pry my finger out of her little hand, she almost started crying. I love her. And then there’s Jackson. His name is inspired by Michael Jackson. He even has a bit of a fro and loves to sing and dance. When I’m teaching, if he hears music in another room he puts his finger to his lips and looks around trying to get us all to listen. We like to dance together. I just never thought I’d love being around a bunch of little kids this much!
On the way back to the fruit stand after school, I wrote a little thought in my notebook. If you are new to my blog or thought process, welcome, and know that it gets a little weird sometimes. As the title would suggest. I was listening to Ingrid at the time and just realized how happy I was feeling. Here we go:
“Bliss is the moments where there are no impending occurrences. Where you’re content in the present and all you can do is smile from the tranquility of it all. When your day and the rest of the world is spinning around you, you just leave. And it’s perfect. I’ve felt this bliss almost daily since I’ve been here but it’s only complete when I recognize the moment for all that it truly is.”
So, take that or leave it. I just thought I’d encourage everyone to take time every day to just be happy. We have so much to be happy about. And if you don’t think you do, think a little harder.
I’ll stop now, sorry. I hope everyone is have a wonderful week back in the States (and anywhere else in the world you might be)! I’ll update you more later. And thanks for reading.

3 comments:

  1. Smiling and laughter have always worked for me too! Glad you are enjoying it there. Mom got released from the Sunbeams. I thought she was going to cry. She loved being with the little kids. I can see where you get that. Somehow the rice story reminds me of John Belushi in Animal House and the mashed potatoes. Oh well, it was probably very fun. Love you! Daddyo :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It brings me such peace of mind knowing that your kitchen floor is receiving lots of attention Mikelle! After all, when everyone gathers in that little room, and they’re starving … looking around at each other with hunger pains ravaging their stomachs, and they wonder who was in charge of dinner … at least they can look at that sparkling clean floor and thank Mikelle for something! You are a gal after my own heart Babe! First things first ... right? I mean who can cook in a kitchen with a dirty floor? Now brush those knees off and fix dinner like a real Chinese English teacher :) I love you! ~ Mom

    ReplyDelete