Right now I am sitting in the Seoul, South Korea airport. It's 6:46 am (on Friday; lost a day there...) and our flight to Hong Kong is at 8:30 so I've got a little time to tell you about the flight that turned my poor, poor toes into baby sausages.
My cute mommy and daddy and Dax took me to Cafe Rio for my last meal and then we went to the airport. There I met four of the six other girls who will be teaching with me in Shiqi. I honestly can't remember the flight to L.A. very well...that was a few too many Tylenol P.M.'s ago. Here comes the cool part though. If you ever get the chance to fly an Asian airline, take it! They are so much better than American ones. This was first discovered when we saw the flight attendants walking toward our gate at LAX. They looked like barbies and had awesome ribbon things in their hair. They said "ladies and gentermen" over the intercom. AND there is hope for me not standing out like a giant in Asia...Korean women are just as tall as me! We were all just entranced by these women. It was awesome. Moving on...So we got on the airplane and Jaime's bag (one of the teachers) managed to almost give a guy a concussion by falling out of the overhead bin and hitting him in the head while we were still in the terminal. That was eventful. I have never been on a plane that big in my life so of course I had to explore a little bit and press all the buttons to figure out what they do. Whilst doing so, I discovered that Koreans may or may not have a bit of an obsession with Freud. There were three movie options about him. Just saying. I got a little bit freaked out when I heard someone say something about a safety check over the intercom, I think it's because I had a flashback to a childhood memory when my mom would do a "seatbelt check" by slamming on the brakes at fairly accelerated speeds. No worries though, no such thing took place. Next we made a nice Indonesian friend sitting next to us. His name was Tama (of course I'm not sure if that's spelled right, or if that's what he even said, but we had lovely conversations through trying to figure out what each other was saying). I think he thought I was loud, and upon thinking this, I realized I AM LOUD. Compared to Asians at least. So I tried to tone it down for the rest of the flight. Two Tylenol P.M.'s gave me a nice rest on the plane, although I did wake up to eat a couple meals. The first was dinner, at 2 in the morning. There were two options, American or Korean. And when in Korea... (or at least on a trans Pacific flight to Korea...) So obviously I went with the rice bowl mixed with stuff I don't know and seaweed soup, which I'm glad I at least tried, but will never be eating again. It was like a mouthful of Utah Lake water. Delish. The best part was the flight attendant had to show me how to eat it. Tama laughed. About this time, I realized we were the ONLY Americans on the plane. I had hopes for a white family but that was ruined when they started speaking Russian. After sleeping for a while longer, I got up and did a little bit of yoga in the back of the plane. I think the flight attendant was confused when she walked back and saw me in downward dog...Next was breakfast. I wanted the Korean porridge but accidentally told the guy I'd have whatever Tama was having, winding me up with an omelette and sausage...the fruit and yogurt was good though. I looked out the window and saw some lights below us so I turned on the flight tracker thing and found out we were flying over Nagoya! Hello Elder Palmer!!
I'm not going to lie, I have never had the emotion I experienced as we started our descent into Seoul. It was this weird, anxious, happy, exhilarating, and slightly strung-out feeling. I am so excited for this!! Even if my feet are retaining water for days! On to Hong Kong!
Best quote of the flight:
Abby: "Are we landing?"
Me: "No...we still have seven more hours..."
Abby: "Oh."
Remember that your mommy loves you MikelleD !! Oh ... and thanks for your discriptive comments, it's almost like having you here at home. Your toes will live, I'm sure. Sorry that I didn't send you with a water pill or two. I hope you sleep really really well tonight. Make sure you lay out (and check) the sticky pads before you unpack and make your bed ... mmmk? I love you to pieces, forever, and too much! ~ Mom
ReplyDeleteOh Kelly I just had to smile and enjoy all of your comments! Keep us posted with your blog! I am so excited to hear all about it! Enjoy it and have a blast!!!!!
ReplyDeleteLove you tons!
Auntie Shawna
glad you are having a good time already. ok now come back thank you bye bye
ReplyDeletep.s. just bought 6 novels all over 400 pages for ONE class. i know, you wish you were here at school :)
Thanks, Aunt Shawna! I love you too! Jen-I'm sorry but I can't come home yet. Although today has been a struggle haha. Were the books for a 201 class?
ReplyDeleteAnd I love you too mommy :) The water purifier has already saved us once today.
Kelle we need another update now that you're in Hong Kong!!
ReplyDeleteMikelle Mikelle Mikelle!! LOVE IT!!! Soon I will be a world traveler like yourself. And we can share stories galore. Tama sounds like a cool guy. Thank goodness you can blog. I walked into the library and missed you mucho. Love ya. Have a fun day today :] Trixie is Jillian. Just P.S. I have privacy fear issues.
ReplyDeleteJillian...I miss you. Our head teacher's name is Jillian and it makes me miss you even more. Just thought I'd share that with you. Love you!
ReplyDelete