December 16, 2009

another drowsy rambling...

The other night I was lying in bed trying to sleep when the girls on the other side of the paper-thin wall next to my head decided to have their nightly "girlfriend chat." This usually consists of meaningless explanations such as "No!", "He didn't!", "Oh my gosh you are so much better looking than her!", and so on and so forth. Yes, this really does happen almost every night and it makes me want to shove pencils in my ears, (not really though because that would be painful and disgusting.) But instead of doing that I just hit the wall. Every night about the same time. And then they stop their shrieking and annoying laughs. From a Pavlovian perspective, it makes absolutely no sense. Every night their bonding is met with my banging but it's like they forget how obnoxious they are by the next night. The conditioning just doesn't stick. I'm sure they get annoyed when Jenna and I dance to loud Indian music (during reasonable hours of the night) so you would think that they'd be able to carry over the principle from being annoyed by us. As a result, I ended up writing this:
Why do we bang walls, hit ceilings with brooms, and stomp on floors to tell our neighbors to be quiet? We all do it so we must all know how annoying "those loud neighbors" are. Instead, we all should just not be loud and annoying at one in the morning and take each other baked goods as a sort of suggestive preemptive reward for cooperation. Shalom my friends; now please shut up.

No comments:

Post a Comment