My psych professor doesn't think Maslow's contributions aren't worth studying; I don't really know if I agree with that or not, but I think he did say something pretty cool. The self-actualizing person (what we should strive to become after we've had our basic needs met in the hierarchy of needs) have the following characteristics according to Maslow:
They perceive reality accurately and fully, demonstrate a great acceptance of themselves and others, exhibit spontanaeity and naturalness, have a need for privacy, tend to be independent of their environment and culture, demonstrate a continuous freshness of appreciation, and have periodic mystic or peak experiences. They are concerned with all humans instead of only their friends, relatives and acquaintances, have only a few friends, a strong ethical sense but do not necessarily accept conventional ethics, have a well-developed sense of humor, and they are creative.
I don't think I'm necessarily "self-actualizing" quite yet, but I'm working on it. Whether Maslow is worth looking at or not, I'd like to meet more of these self-actualizing people. They sound pretty awesome.
And that's pretty much all I got out of my psych study group tonight. Oh and the internet lies. On dream interpretation websites, it refers to Freudian ideas when a good amount of the concepts are from Jung. Did I mention I love psychology?
Back to writing papers...
No comments:
Post a Comment