How did that happen? I swear it was just barely February. And I missed the Holi Festival* already?? I mean, I knew it was going to happen…it just felt like it was one of those things in the future. Far far away.
I went to Guangzhou this weekend. I love Guangzhou now. It is a very big city just north of Zhongshan. It’s a wonderful thing that Sarah’s brother lives there and that we had an in in that way, because I don’t think I would have been tempted to go otherwise. And then I would have missed out on one of my favorite cities.
As I said, Sarah’s brother lives in Guangzhou with his wife and their two adorable girls. Sarah has gone to visit him over weekends a few times new, and she let Abby and I tag along this time. Let me tell you, I love Sarah. For many reasons, but this is just another one. This weekend with their little family was perfect and exactly what I needed. I owe her big time.
We left Zhongshan in the late afternoon and expected to be in Guangzhou by 7 or so, as it is usually an hour and a half bus ride. Well, buses aren’t exactly the most reliable thing in China. They are wonderful because they go everywhere, yes…but not too timely. So we arrived at the station in Guangzhou almost three hours later. Who knows why. It was a very enjoyable ride though. I got to talk a bit with Abby and Sarah until a woman sat down in between us and then I just turned to my current audiobook. I love audiobooks. They’re definitely on my favorites list. Coming into the city with all the lights and nightlife was amazing as well. Think of it as Hawaii meets New York.
When we got off the bus, we didn’t really have any idea where we were, but we did have John’s address, so we figured we would just hand it to a cab driver. All over China, there are motorbike-type cabs that hold two to three passengers, and I have been dying to take one even though I know my mother would die if she ever knew that I did. Sorry mum. So we handed the address to one of the drivers to see if he would take us and he didn’t really respond, just started talking and laughing with all his fellow motorbike cabbies. So we went to find another one. As we were about to go with him, a guy who was probably in his late 20’s and spoke a little English practically yelled at us and told us not to go because it was dangerous. I don’t know what kind of danger he was hinting at, but I am glad that someone was looking out for us. I’ll take one of those cabs some other time. In daylight. And maybe in a city a little less sketchy and less involved in the sex trade.
We got to John and Sonia’s around 9:00 and they had a wonderful dinner ready for us! Sonia is from Sichuan and her cooking definitely has the heat for which Sichuan is oh-so-famous. Delicious.
On Saturday, John took us to find great deals on watches and ties. Then his best friend wanted to treat us to lunch so we met up with him. He is from the Northeast so he wanted to take us to a Northeastern restaurant. After Beijing, I thought I was fonder of southern food, but this restaurant changed my mind. And Simon was also adorable and so nice. He wanted us to go out with him that night, but we were too tired and wanted to let John and Sonia hit the town while we watched the girls.
After lunch, Sonia took us to the pearl market. Guangzhou has the biggest and best pearl market in China. So, this is a bit shameless, but I would just like to let everyone know that I can get very good quality pearls (salt water or fresh water) for unbelievable prices. And I am very willing to take orders to bring some home with me. I’m a college student; can you blame me??
Saturday night was possibly my favorite part of the whole weekend. We had a dumpling party. China is all about families and making jiaozi is one of the best family activities to do. And this was probably the best jiaozi I have had in China. It was incredible. And I know how to make it now! So just let me know if anyone ever wants to have a dumpling party. I will be more than willing.
I said that was possibly my favorite part of the weekend, because it wasn’t quite the top reason. The best part was just being with a family. I love family. Even if it wasn’t my own family, it was still a much needed and missed feeling. Family makes everything better. Even though this made me a little homesick for my own family, I’m just grateful I got to be a part of theirs for a couple days.
By the way, I have a little bit of a crush on a Chinese teacher at Kaiyin. I may have mentioned that we talked once on the bus. Except it really wasn’t talking because he doesn’t speak much English and I didn’t speak much Chinese at the time (oh boy could we converse now), so we basically just laughed the whole time. So adorable. I would like to not be judged for what I am about to say. So if you’re going to judge me, then skip to the asterisk and let the image of this Chinese Brad Pitt with glasses just linger in your mind. For all my female readers at least. Ok ready? So I’ve had a crush on him for quite some time. ILP does not allow their teachers to be involved in any sort of romantic relations, but sometimes we joke that kissing wouldn’t necessarily have to be romantic. It’s like this elephant in the room joke. Everyone says that it would be absolutely fine but really we all know it wouldn’t fly and I’m sure if I were to kiss a Chinese man and try to defend it with our oh-so-common hilarity and ignorance of its sarcastic undertone, no one would let that fly either. On our way home from dinner this evening, I finally burst and asked, “JILLIAN, CAN I OR CAN I NOT KISS A CHINESE MAN?!” And then everyone just laughed. Which still didn’t answer my question. I think it would be a very necessary cultural experience. That’s all I’m saying. Alas, I’m a bit of a stickler for rules that can get me sent back to America prematurely, so I probably won’t be kissing any Chinese men within the next 3 months.
Sorry, one more story.
On Friday morning, I was driving to school with our friend, Aaron, when he asked me what my dream in life is. I responded by telling him that I want to be a mother more than anything else-to raise children that will be respectful and make a difference in the world. Well…Aaron told me my dream is too low.
OOO-EEE did that light a fire. Don’t go throwing down my dreams. I think I handled it quite well though because he still drives me to school. And yes, that is still my dream, however “low” it may be in some eyes.
*For those of you non-Provo people: Holi is a festival at the Hare Krishna temple in Spanish Fork. The festival is every year (usually in March) to mark the coming of Spring. I love it so much. You throw colored chalk powder everywhere and most BYU students ignorantly yell “Hare Krishna!” Which is a praise to an avatar of one of the main Hindu gods…totally cool and all, but I just think it’s funny because A LOT of the students that attend the festival would not be up for such liberality. Anyway, it’s just a wonderful little tradition and I use it as a time marker sometimes…guess time is flying.
No comments:
Post a Comment