As I was peeling (understatement) my post-run snack of a pomelo this evening, I was thinking of a title for this rather insignificant blog post. You should know that 60% of the times I think of writing a post, I give up because I can’t decide on a title that I like. Maybe more like 15%, but it’s all the same. Regardless…it’s stressful to me, which is a bit silly because it’s not like I even come up with good ones. And I’m not digging for reassurance that they are good because I don’t care much about that, I just want to like them. I already know that they’re not good thanks to my writing professor last semester, Dr. Thayer. He was all for voice in writing. Just not my voice. Well, Dr. Thayer, I hope you like this one. Let’s tie this all together. I obviously had a lot of time to think about this while battling with a meager pomelo, but look how many thoughts took place! And I like thoughts. So, even though I feel like I’m in an episode of Man vs. Wild every time I attempt at one (especially because Jillian likes to narrate in an intense Australian accent), I still love them. And they are good. Which inspires a list. I’m sorry if you don’t like lists. I do, and it’s my blog after all.
Pomelo Pro’s
-They are sweet and juicy, but not too sweet or juicy.
-They bring out a primitive sense of accomplishment upon prying the fruit from the ridiculously thick pith.
-Chinese people eat them. And we are also Chinese.
-Charlie taught us how to pick out good ones. This provided entertainment and without the subject matter, this obviously would not have been possible.
-They take at least 15 minutes to peel. Maybe I’m just a slow pomelo-peeler…but it provides time for critical thinking.
-They cost about five yuan for a large one.
-They have high nutritional value according to WikiAnswers.
Pomelo Con’s
-The fruit is gone within about a minute. But still worth it. So ultimately, I have no complaints. As long as I can still find them in the US when I go home.
Would you like to hear about something other than pomelos now? Our Spring Festival plans are set! Today we (me, Jillian, and Abby) booked flights to and from Beijing and a hostel for the seven nights we’ll be there. Now we’re just going to keep our fingers crossed that we’ll be able to find train tickets to Xi’an and back to Beijing for a day trip to see the Terra Cotta Warriors.
Here’s the general overview:
We have a flight on New Year’s Eve (February 13) which gets into Beijing at about 23:00. In Beijing we will see the wall, the Forbidden City, Tiananmen Square, other famous things I can’t remember, maybe even a kung fu show or opera, and of course go shopping. After four scintillating days in Beijing, we are hoping to get a sleeper train to Xi’an on Thursday night. Following which, we will spend a day in Xi’an and then catch another sleeper train back to Beijing on Friday night. We’ll then have the rest of Saturday in Beijing and our flight back to Guangzhou leaves in the afternoon. The best part about the flight back is the 16 hour layover in Shanghai. Yes, we will have to sleep in an airport, so that’s not a sack full of giggles, but we’ll get to see the city for a few hours and maybe even find a branch to go to a Sacrament meeting on Sunday morning. I couldn’t be more thrilled!
Now I just need to start brainstorming of things to do while on the Great Wall. I want to be able to say I did something a little different than just walk around you know? I was thinking of yoga, but how unoriginal is that? Abby and I were also thinking of maybe singing a hymn and hoping we don’t get put in prison? Any good ideas? Let me know.
And a happy Groundhog Day to you all! For you, I wish that you can have Zhongshan-like weather soon :) Wan an!
You make me jealous! I wish I could go with you! I have always wanted to see those same things and you get to go without me! Unfair but very, very cool! Good luck, be safe and have the time of your life!
ReplyDelete