February 11, 2010

the essence

I realized something quite peculiar about the English language today. We have so many words that are completely unnecessary and synonymous. Granted, the Inuit and other cool people like that have like 20 words for snow, and I’m sure that’s not the only example…but how are you supposed to translate some of the crazy English words we have? It’s ridiculous and honestly quite impossible. That’s why we end up with awesome translations that my mother ends up having printed into “thank you” notes. I think this is why our friend Tina always laughs when we start speaking frivolously. (The best is how she appreciates my sarcasm and general blunt-ness. I think it catches her off guard sometimes. She’s starting to take me less seriously.) Today, we taught her the words “essence” and “vibe,” but then at the party we had later, she taught us how to say essence in Chinese. I figured she was just telling us a word similar to what it means, so I asked her for the literal translation and she said “essence.” I’m still a little bit confused. Nonetheless, Tina is now in love with the word.
This morning I was asked if I speak Chinese on the bus. I thought she was asking if I was Chinese. You have no idea how excited I was that she could even mistake me for what I’m striving so hard to become, so I politely corrected her and told her that I was American (all in Chinese). Anyone could make the mistake, right? She looked a little bit confused. My answer killed two birds with one stone. I’d say that was one step backwards.
It was Sarah’s “birthday” today; we partied quite heartily. Of course it wasn’t her real birthday (which is actually in August), but who doesn’t want a birthday in China? So a few of us are celebrating our half birthdays this year if they aren’t falling in the six month window that we are here. We threw her a surprise party which turned out splendidly AND provided a good amount of entertainment in trying to keep her from getting too frustrated when we were leading her around in assurance that she wouldn’t discover our plans. Abby, Jaimie, and I got to help Tina make the hot pot dinner! I’m so in love with hot pot. I think in America, I will make it sans the entire chicken. Although Tina claims that will take all the flavor away, I think that’s something I’m willing to risk. We had a wonderful night filled with food and American dance parties.
I’m racking my brain right now trying to think of anything else noteworthy that I should post before I leave for a week!* I guess I should let you know that I will be leaving for Beijing on Saturday and won’t be back until the following Sunday. I will NOT be taking my computer with me, so don’t expect anything next week. I’ll keep a detailed journal though, so I can tell the best of Beijing upon my return.
Yesterday I bought long sweatshirts. The kind all the Chinese girls wear here. So…I am even more Chinese once again. That cancels out my language mistakes I think. Plus I can do a really good Chinese smile for the camera. They say “eggplant” here instead of “cheese” to get someone to smile. Of course it’s in Chinese though.
I also went to a market this week that was definitely the most Chinese thing I’ve seen. Other than karaoke. Abby and I bought overpriced yoga mats. Not by American standards of course. But Tina was very disappointed in us when we told her how much we paid. Can someone please teach me how to barter?? This is how it usually goes for me:

Me: Duoshao qian?
Shopkeeper: Ba shi kuai.
Me: Tai guile. Si shi.
S.k.: Ba shi kuai.
Me: Haole. Wo yao.

In case you didn’t understand that…it was basically me getting slapped in the face. If I could access youtube, I would try to find a tutorial on “how to barter with Chinese people who think you’re just a dumb American because that’s pretty much what you actually are.” And if that doesn’t exist, maybe I’ll make it when I return to the states.
I think that basically sums up my week. It was just low-key because we were decorating the school in the absence of the children who are all gone for Spring Festival. I made a lovely tree out of brown paper bags and tissue paper. I’ll post pictures soon. It was inspired by the great artist, Jenna Morgan. As I was twisting paper and stapling in various ways, I kept asking myself, “How would Jenna do this?” And it turned out pretty impressive if I may say so myself.

Xin Nian Kuai Le! Gongxi Fazai!

*Interesting side note: I hope that you appreciate the asterisk being used here. Usually I would just include this in the main body of the post because that is how my train of thought works, but I am trying to be accommodating to those who don’t appreciate how often I switch subjects without warning or proper organization. I have seen this phrase spelled two different ways but I would like to offer the correct usage and etymology. One would hope that the brain would never be wracked as this would hint at destruction and carnage. This has the same origin of wreck. Maybe your mind is a wreck after deep thinking though? In this case, the proper form is rack. This refers back to the medieval torture instrument which stretched or strained. Still a little gruesome, but nonetheless, correct. Also, please never spell definitely as definately. I’ve never heard of anything being finate. Sorry, I’ll stop now.

2 comments:

  1. love ya kelle! miss ya. i'm shoppin for the cutest place for us to live. it's going to be epic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I switch subjects all the time too! THus, I like the asterisk use. Yes. I sent you an email and hope you got it.

    ReplyDelete