
Lots of people keep asking me how the China deal came up. Obviously this post isn’t for anyone in particular considering I don’t think anyone even knows about this blog yet…but for those who will read it in the future…blogs are actually kind of a weird thing when you think about it. I’m volunteering my thoughts and stories that I’d usually only share with my journal to a public space. Not all of them thank goodness. It’s quite self-centered. And I’m not really comfortable with it yet, but I kind of like just “putting all this out there.” I’ll try to avoid narcissism. And banality, but no promises can be made. Also, I should add a disclaimer that I don’t even understand how my mind works very often, so don’t try too hard to follow me.
And back to China.
One day during Winter Semester of 2009, I was writing a paper for Pl Sc 110 (my worst grade in my university history. Whatever. I didn’t like you that much either, Political Science. Psychology and I are much more compatible.) and of course I wasn’t actually writing the paper. I was probably downloading music and (shamelessly) facebooking; which is a topic for later discussion-You’ll see I have many opinions. On the side of the facebook screen there was an advert for an orphanage in Estonia. I was in a world-seeing mood so I clicked on it and did a little research, finding no real credible support. Trying to avoid a sketchy situation, I googled other traveling and service opportunities and found International Language Programs. ILP sends students to Mexico, Russia, China, and Taiwan to teach English and it had great credentials, so I decided to go. And yes, it really was that fast of a decision, I don’t think things through very well all the time…Next I had to decide which country. My logic in this: Mexico is run by drug-lords. Russia is very different from the parts of Europe to which I’ve been, but nonetheless, still Europe. Taiwan…ehhh, no real reason for discounting that. And then China. Dax, my brother, was serving a Mandarin speaking mission at the time, and I LOVED learning about Eastern religions and culture in world religions, so voila. China seemed appropriately foreign and mysterious. I think my parents thought I was joking when I told them. When they realized I wasn’t, I’m sure they thought it was just one of my crazy ideas I get all the time (and occasionally follow through…). And that’s basically how the story goes.
FAQ’s
1. Are you getting paid?
No. There are programs that will pay you to go teach English, but they charge the parents of the children unreasonable amounts, so only the rich kids in these countries had such an opportunity. ILP is non-profit, so the volunteers pay their way. It’s cheap compared to university though.
2. Do you speak any Chinese?
No. I can say a few things though:
Hello. How are you? You are a good horse. Hand me that crayon. Thank you. Go throw yourself off a lofty peak. Fried rice. Fried noodles.
I don’t think I’ll have any problem getting around. This is why people love Americans, right?
3. Gee Mikelle, if you don’t speak Chinese, how are you going to teach the kids English?
They have a program that they use (which I know nothing about yet) where the kids are immersed in the language. They are only allowed to use English in the teaching room.
4. Are you going with anyone you know?
I signed up completely alone, but then my dear friend and co-counselor from Brighton LDS Girl’s Camp was coerced into going with me. And I found out a friend from middle school/high school is going to China as well!
5. For how long are you going? Will you just be teaching?
I’ll be there from January 6-June 26 of 2010. I’m going to be LIVING. I don’t know why, but this strikes me as such a real-life experience. I’ll teach most every day, but I really want to establish a life while I’m there. Why hold back? So, I expect to be joining the locals for tai chi in the parks, I’d like to learn Mandarin or Cantonese, maybe learn a little Chinese cooking, write songs, read books, pick up karate again, and travel every chance I get. Luckily, we get to go pretty much wherever we want to on weekends and we get at least one vacation a month.
Don’t be fooled by all my brazen enthusiasm. I’m scared out of my mind. I can’t wait.
No comments:
Post a Comment