October 15, 2010

wait until dark.

I relived part of one of my favorite Audrey films tonight. I've had a not-so-friendly visitor in my room since last night. I heard his buzzing as I was falling asleep, but being too tired to do anything about it, I squinted so tight and imagined I was in a bug net sleeping safely and quite peacefully in my China home. Nothing lulls me to sleep quite like that. Mostly just the China part and maybe not so much the net, although it was quite regal.
The second encounter was tonight around 1:30 am. I came in to find his dark shadow lurking on my wall, cast by the dim light of my monkey lamp. I had decided i couldn't endure the squeamish dreams of him watching me sleep one more night, so his fate was decided. Aware of his draw to the glow in monkey lamp's outstretched hand, I turned off the lamp, plunging myself and him into utter darkness. The allusion came to mind immediately and the hope of the advantage the darkness would provide faded quickly upon realizing that I am not blind. How could I have any advantage over this creature when I, myself was so discombobulated? I promptly turned on the overhead lights and found him to be unmoved. The showdown began and I am only willing to disclose the involvement of my Chinese lian xi ben (workbook).
I don't regret it, the fly had to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment